Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Only YOU can prevent groupthink

After viewing the ASUN notebook covering the candidate selection for the open COLA seat, I'm very concerned that groupthink is starting to form, even though the group has only been together for a month. I urge, in the strongest terms possible, all the members of the Senate (particularly Gracie Geremia) to read the wikipedia article on groupthink and consider each of the elements of what contributes to groupthink and how to avoid succumbing to it.

Assuming the Sagebrush reporting was accurate, I saw evidence groupthink may be starting to form. Here is some evidence:

2:01
Delaplain said accusations from anonymous sources, such as the blog Vis Lupi Est Grex, cannot be allowed to drive ASUN policy.
2:01
"We can't let people who lack the courage to stand up for what they're saying tear down everything we're trying to do," Delaplain said.
2:02
Speaker Geremia, as part of her report, echoed Delaplain's statements and said the senate would no longer allow anonymous statements to be read into the record.

From the Wikipedia page:

Social psychologist Clark McCauley's three conditions under which groupthink occurs:

  • Directive leadership.

  • Homogeneity of members' social background and ideology.

  • Isolation of the group from outside sources of information and analysis.

So here we have someone of directive leadership (Geremia) reinforcing the member's ideology (outsiders attacking us), and setting policy prohibiting "outside sources of information and analysis". I'll point out that she has warned the Senate away from Vis Lupi Est Grex on a couple of other occasions as well--this is how groupthink starts. The following is a list of questions and comments possibly indicative of the group attempting to identify outsiders and exclude them from participation (some of these may also be violations of law as well):

2:25
Sen. Geramye Teeter asked Day if he had any affiliations with political groups on campus like START. Day answere that he did not.

What in the world does one's political affiliations have to do with the ability to serve as a Senator? This question should NOT have been asked, but it would have been okay for the candidate to volunteer it in his application.

3:38
Purney said that Day did not have any specific goals.
3:38
Kealy said that may be a positve point more than a negative one.

Kealy thinks it's a positive that the candidate not have specific goals. From a groupthink analysis, it is because that candidate does not present a threat to the group dynamic. Think about it.

3:48
Purney said Thornley "tends to pick fights on the Internet," and that could be his downfall.

Gracie Geremia picks more fights on the internet than any other public official I have met in four years of school at UNR, and she is Speaker of the Senate. Senator Purney also has a bit of a reputation for scrapping online. I think the subtext is actually that Thornley tends to argue positions threatening to the group's ideology and cohesion.

3:53
Hernandez said that Thornley's negative comments on the Sagebrush message boards might reflect poorly on the senate as a whole.
"From a P.R. standpoint, it would not be a good decision for us," she said.

Does this need a comment?

4:21
Sen. Shirley Diaz said the senate should keep in mind that the students did not vote Sadykova into the senate.

As if 90% of the voters actually understood who they were voting for in COLA. This criticism is hard to take seriously.

4:23
Sen. Lea Moser said Gelmsted's age should be kept into account.
"She's old enough to be a grad student," she said.

This is the original comment that got me thinking there was a groupthink problem. First of all, this is illegal as hell, and if I were Ms. Gelmsted, I'd find it worth my time to stop in and talk to ASUN Legal Services about filing a complaint or suit. Second, the campus is composed of all sorts of students and it's rare for non-traditional students to be represented. I can only think of a couple Senators in the past four years older than 25. Ms. Moser seems to believe that older students should not be on the Senate. I pray that Ms. Moser stays way the hell away from any diversity initiatives. I have to give half a point to Senator Kealy for saying her age could be a strength, but I have to dock half a point for not reminding the Senate that considering the candidate's age is ILLEGAL.

4:54
The fact that Gelmstead lives in Fernley has been raised as an issue. Some senators feel that the distance might affect her ability to get to meetings.

I don't know who said that, but I don't see why Ms. Gelmstead's distance from campus should be a factor in her ability to serve. Whoever said this is grasping at straws for reasons not to appoint this candidate.

I hope there are a few Senators able to recognize the signs of groupthink, and who push for the Senate's leaders to take steps to counter the effects. Otherwise, we could be looking at a repeat of last year.

27 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, a repeat of last year seems very likely. As I said, I firmly think their actions as legislators will have greater consenquences since everything appears to be coming into play in the next couple of months. If we end up getting the sharp end of the stick because of inaction or incompetence, I will be very dissappointed.


    As I said in my other post, the "My stuff doesn't suck" philosophy seems to be prominent in both the Executive and Legislative branches this year. Listen to the criticism and think as individuals, or face unintended consenquences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was flabbergasted when I read some of the stuff the Sagebrush reporter was posting on the live blog, often to the point of commenting.

    I agree with this post entirely. Yesterday was just part and parcel of the growing problem that is ASUN's lack of good, competent advisement. It's one thing when they have trouble following their own rules and laws, but it's quite another when they start violating state and federal labor law.

    I shared the material on the Senate's potential illegal acts with an expert in employment law. This is what she had to say:

    "Although it is hard to judge without knowing the entirety of the discussion that occurred at the table, it appears Ms. Gelmstedt would have a strong cause of action against the Senate for engaging in an illegal hiring practice, namely age discrimination.

    "I find it incredibly troubling that no advisor to the group cautioned them against asking questions that potentially breached fair employment practices law.

    "Ms. Moser's comment is of particular concern. It appears to be blatant age discrimination. It is of no relevance how old a candidate may be.

    "The questions regarding one's political affiliations also is of concern."

    The expert's bottom line on all of this: "If I was one of the candidates who was rejected based on grounds of illegal discrimination, I would not hesitate to file a complaint."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree. The interview process (based on the sagebrush blog) yesterday was a load of balderdash.

    The Senators need to stop thinking that they are the the epitome of awesome simply because they were elected. None of them are experts yet, and this discrimination is incredibly disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any way for someone other than Gelmstadt to file a legal complaint?

    Like a writer on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. Only she would have standing to bring a complaint because only she has been harmed. But the Senate could rebuke the members who asked the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very sorry, I had no idea that I was breaking legal law. I will work from this mistake and grow. Thank you for giving honest criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Senator, thank you for being big enough to admit your mistake. We sincerely appreciate that you will grow from this and be better for it. However, what will be done about the larger underlying problem: your advisers did nothing to intervene when the line was being crossed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure, I can only try and educate myself more as to not make mistakes. I would though like to clarify, I did say that Erin was old enough to be a grad student, but I re-clarified later that what I meant was, why did it take her so long to get involved. My grandpa goes to the university, he is 85, with alot of education under his belt, very intelligent, and he hates it here because the teachers treat him old and stupid. I would just like to make apparent that I was not trying to discriminate against age. I am very sorry that I did though. I feel very embarrassed that I let it be worded in such a way. Thank you for pointing this out.

    I hope to be a senator that can one day be respected for representing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sen. Moser, I disagree with you making age an issue, but I appreciate your honest response. Thanks for reading and replying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahaha, the famous "I accept my mistake and pledge to be better......... BUUUUUUT...."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come, and let us reason together. From my front door, way out in Fernley (apparently BFE) to the University it is 36.08 miles (38 minutes). This is all highway with the exception of maybe 2 miles, so 38 minutes is a conservative estimation. Not only is 38 minutes less time than it takes most people commuting from Spanish Springs, the north valleys,and south Reno but it is also a commute that I have taken for 6 days a week for the last 6 years. But wait, shouldn't that make me a graduate student??? Commuting yes has been a pain in my @$$, but it doesn't keep me from getting to class or to my place of employment, so I don't see how it would effect my ability to participate in the senate. Plus, doesn't the senate meet at 5:30pm on Wednesdays, after I will have sat in class from 10am to 4pm? I am aware of the responsibility of committee meetings etc., but it is NOTHING for me to be on campus from 9am to 12am, Monday through Friday. Yes, that would be a full 15 hours, in which I can find space to fulfill my senate repsonsibilities. Now that we have addressed my inability to set an alarm clock and drive effectily to and from school, what are we to do with my geriatric condition? First off, I'm only 24. Never did I state my age during my interview nor in any material submitted for consideration. I'm assuming this age was figured from my high school graduation date of 2003, which was 6 years ago... 6 plus 18 (the usual age at graduation) equals 24. Now that we can add, we can continue with the blatant violation of federal law. Sen. Moser, any U.S. citizen who has ever held employment knows that it is illegal to discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or national origin (NRS 613.330). This is even displayed, by law, in all establishments in which people are employed. The age discrimination displayed by the ASUN Senate is cause for great concern, however I do thank Sen. Kealy for his support. Regardless of the documented discrimination made against me, I still support Sen. Neely and the Senate as a whole. I had the distinct privilege of getting to know Sen. Neely during the meeting as well as reading his application (as well as the other canidates) which was posted on the senate website and available for everyone to see. He not only took a great deal of time preparing his application, but he displayed a sincere enthusiasm for public service and was well qualified. I love and support my alma matter, so of course I wish no ill against the Senate or any of it's members. But rather I encourage them to do their best, both personally and as a whole for the betterment of the University. Oh, and as far as taking so long to "get involved" please refer to my resume, simply because I'm not involved specifically in ASUN, doesn't mean I'm not involved. Dearest Lupus, what are you're recommendations as far as taking action on the subject at hand? Any feedback, from anyone, is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an excerpt from US Code Title 29, Chapter 14: Age discrimination in Employment

    "Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 93-259, Sec. 28(a)(4), excepted from the term "employee" elected public officials, persons chosen by such officials for such officials' personal staff, appointees on policymaking level, and immediate advisers with respect to exercise of constitutional or legal powers of the public office"

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is going to sound strange, but I do not think ASUN "officials" fit within the definition of elected public official because they don't excercise federal or state constitutional powers, or powers derived from such authorities. I'll elaborate when I have more time. I might change my mind, but I would like to study it further.

    ReplyDelete
  14. death on a triscuitMay 8, 2009 at 8:45 AM

    Wow so they can discuss age. SHe was running for an elected position. Maybe not all the research was done before hand this time... Any anyways, what does it matter, you probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway, there were what 12 or 13 votes for neely. And did you even stay in the room to hear what was going on? I thought Lupi advised everyone not to leave. Really though, take some advice or none.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We advised the candidates of their rights under the Senate's Rules and the Nevada Open Meeting Law. We did not give any advice as to whether a candidate should stay in the room, only that the Senate could not require them to leave the room.

    As I said earlier, the question of whether the senators are covered under the federal law cited above by Anonymous will require further examination, which we'll do in a later post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not at all butt hurt by the fact that I did not get the position as CLA Senator. I'm am more than supportive of the decision made by the Senate, I truely believe that Sen. Neely was the better canidate. Going into the interview I knew that my chances were slim and I was flattered that I was considered one of the top choices. I'm mearly surprised that age or distance would ever be a factor, to be clear I heard about this from sources other than this blog and the Nevada Sagebrush. As far as the legality of Wednesdays proceedings I'll let this blog duke it out. I plan on applying for other positions in ASUN and would hate to burn bridges. My previous comments were for mear clarification and an outlet of passing frustration. I've long since learned that holding grudges are not productive or beneficial. I certainly hope that I have not offended the Senate or any member of it. If I have, I apologize, this was never my attention. Like I've stated before I support the Senate and it's decision regarding the CLA open seat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erin,

    If you're looking for something to do in ASUN that is an extremely important position hardly ever executed well, I would encourage you to apply for the chair of the elections commission. Eli Reilly told me that he was going to have the chair selected before the end of the school year, but of course there wasn't time for that. Still, it would be a huge service to students to have someone who cares about doing a good job in the role.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Erin,

    I concur with Corinna's comments. The Election Commission has been greatly overlooked in the past. If you're serious about getting involved in ASUN (which seems to be the case), check it out. It would be a pleasant change to have people wanting to be an election commissioner vs. the president having to beg his buddies to do it.

    As far as the situation with the past meeting, at the very least you could sit down with the University's EO/AA office. However, if you are not serious about bringing a complaint, and if you don't feel wronged by this enough to see through a complaint, then perhaps it is best to let it go. At least one of the senators appears to have learned from the experience. Besides, I think it's doubtful that a majority of the Senate did not vote for you because of your advanced years of 24. (For the record, the Senate has had older members than that.)

    There were a lot of good candidates going for this seat and the Senate's decision was split. In the end, it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. how old was Dennis Mankel (sp?)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mankel was in his mid 40s, Lee Massey was around 35, Greg Green (former Speaker) was 28, so yeah, I would say 24 is still pretty young.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a joke. My apoloiges, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  22. people were talking about Jake Neely's age too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just arrest every senator for violation of federal law.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Erin do you mind saying where exactly you heard about it besides from the the sagebrush or the blog. I heard the audience was empty

    ReplyDelete
  25. Groupthink...really? Thank god the purveyors of this dribble took a 200-level communications course. I'm assuming it's groupthink when people are agreeing that your ramblings really aren't that important and it's common sense when they agree with your point of view? I hope you and all the other anonymous organizations on campus are hit buy one-benevolent-anonymous-smug-self-serving-bus.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Death on a triscuit!!!

    ReplyDelete