Monday, March 16, 2009

ASUN Informed, but not authorized

Senators Gracie Geremia, Charlie Jose, and Jennifer Richards have created a new blog to attempt to keep members of ASUN up-to-date about the happenings of the Senate. According to Ms. Geremia:


This will serve as an ASUN portal to inform interested students on the happenings of ASUN, in particularly Senate.

According to our research, there was never any act by the Senate to authorize such a publication. It seems curious to me the other nineteen Senators would feel comfortable to be represented in such a way without consent, and I wonder whether the issue will be brought before the Senate. You might imagine Speaker Acosta might try to exercise her powers to curtail this activity until an actual resolution authorizing the blog can be voted on by the Senate. Or else you might think the respective Senators would shut down 'asun-informed' and develop a blog which explicitly states the views of the authors as being personal and not representative of the body. If I were a Senator, I might prefer the authors of the blog be able to compose writings commensurate with a university education.

4 comments:

  1. At least we're trying to inform the students. Wouldn't it be far easier to express your concerns directly with members of the Senate. If you have an issue that you would like to discuss, please e-mail your respective senator(s). I would be happy to listen to your concerns, but you can't expect us to read your minds. I would have been more than happy to help make sure the process for the constitutional amendment was happening in a timely manner, but nobody came to me expressing their concerns. I had to read your dismay through this anonymous, petty, and biased blog. I have full faith that if you truly care about the students and care about the integrity, productive, and representation of ASUN, than you will personally contact your senators to voice your concerns, like Corinna and Taylor R. Anderson have done, even if they may or may not be using this blog as their outlet now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You assume that students haven't approached their senators and that their concerns did not fall on deaf ears. People have come to you. The forum need not matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I responded to this, but maybe not.

    Anyways, I am not speaking on behalf of every senator, I am speaking as a representative of the largest college on campus. I have received maybe 2 e-mails from students, both of which I took into consideration and acted on. Furthermore, only one student, not even a CLA student, has utilized my office hours. Please do not regard my last comment as, once again, merely defending senate. We shouldn't be waiting to hear issues from students on blogs or sagebrush comments. We shouldn't even be waiting for students to be approaching us. We should be out there-- tabling, talking to students outside of the ASUN offices. We should be holding more frequent town halls, even if only a handful show up. ASUN has issues. We can agree on that.

    If you have, in fact, contacted your respective senators about the issues that you are expressing in this blog beforehand, than you must not be students within CLA, because I haven't been contacted about these issues prior to their appearance on the blog. If you have contacted the executive board or the other senators in your college and they have not responded or discussed these issues with you, than once again, I apologize. Please come to a Senate or committee meeting to address your concerns with the senate was a whole. I can assure you that the senate is not purposefully breaking laws or not listening, there are many senators who are eager to listen to your concerns. This blog is not the most constructive way of voicing your concerns.

    senatorGeremia@asun.unr.edu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI...there is a disclaimer on the blog now, thanks for advising on that addition.

    ReplyDelete