Sunday, February 7, 2010

UNR Students for Liberty and Beautiful Irony

In an ingeniously cruel move, the UNR Students for Liberty have secured funding from ASUN for an Abolish ASUN event. I can't imagine a more brilliant way to demonstrably validate their view that ASUN bureaucracy is a joke.

What's more disturbing is the ease with which the funding was given. You can view the brilliant discourse had by the club commission in a video provided by SFL. I'm sure there are some legal ramifications I am unaware of that might compel the government to fund SFL without discrimination, but that is not what happened.

I grow regularly more and more convinced ASUN serves little purpose. When the club commission cannot stand in defense of the government it purports to serve, the institution has a problem. I've always stood behind ASUN as a great tool to help students learn, but I've seen very little in my years to suggest that SFL is not correct. It seems all ASUN is good at is taking money from all students to redistribute to more active students. ASUN must learn how to advocate for students on issues students care about and be able to defend at least some part of its institution against the funny, but childish antics, of SFL.


2 comments:

  1. George and I debated getting the money in one dollar bills and giving it back to students in every copy of the Pack Patriot. I'm not sure blowing 4k on ponies and abolish ASUN banners furthers liberty, unless you're going for the ends justify the means logic. Damn funny though.
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Senators,
    Here is a good idea for a bill -- no funding for anti-ASUN bullshit.

    ReplyDelete