Monday, February 1, 2010

The morality of a filing fee

I don't intend this to be a discussion of the legal standing of erecting a monetary barrier to running for an ASUN office.

I have one simple question, in which I ask the concession of one assumption. Assume a student has a desire to run for office but doesn't have the means to pay the $50 fee held against potential campaigning violations. What recourse is available to said student under official ASUN policy that would allow the student to run?

I am unaware of any official mechanism in place to afford such a student the opportunity to run.

As the title of this post implies, the moral implications are disturbing. Perhaps the system should be modified?

2 comments:

  1. Easy. You apply the Do The Right Thing Doctrine. Problem solved.

    Actually, to very briefly touch on the legal implications, such a fee structure as ASUN has probably violates the ASUN Constitution's qualifications clause and equal protection. I am applying federal case law to make this conclusion. I do so because it is strongly persuasive in ASUN's context because of how similar the ASUN Constitution is with the federal constitution, structurally speaking.

    Morally, conditioning candidacy on wealth is reprehensible, especially in today's down economic times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about this today, funny.

    ReplyDelete