Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sagebrush incapable of basic fact checking

The Nevada Sagebrush, in its latest show of being incapable of even the most basic fact checking, embarrassingly (and erroneously) states that Division of Health Sciences students will be without representation when Sen. Geremye Teeter resigns this week. Sen. Renee Freeman recently resigned.

But, what's this? DHS has three senators, you say? Indeed, it does. Sen. Kimberly Anichowski. Can't she get any love for representin'?

And guess what's worse? They have an editorial cartoon about it this week, too.

Now, in the Sagebrush's defense, they might have gotten confused about DHS losing a senate seat under the reapportionment for the next two sessions. But that doesn't take effect until after the elections.

This is really sad, Sagebrush. I'd expect this kind of rank amateruism from the senators.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like the President isn't much better:

    "ASUN President Eli Reilly said he agreed that the college not having representation was a concern, especially with budget cut conversations looming in the future, but believed there is time to find a replacement before things become too serious.

    “The timeline on these things is going to be a little slow,” he said. “In the mean time, health sciences students will have to make their own voices heard at town halls and things like that.”"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS really sad... I'd expect this kind of rank amateruism from the contributors of Vis Lupi Est Grex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOT, are you a Senator? If so, which one? I’m just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, I am a bretheren of Sean... A Senator of old with no life looking back at my glory years.

    Apart from that, I'd rather remain anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the writer of the article in question and would like to ask that it not reflect the Sagebrush's competency, but only my own. The mistake was a huge one on my part and I am personally humiliated by it. That being said, it is my own and not the paper's. I know any mistake reflects on the entire staff, but being the news editor, fact checking of the front page is my responsibility. As you can see, I have dropped the ball on that responsibility in an immesurable way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay, Thank you for your comment. It is the mark of a professional when errors made are owned up to and corrected. All too often we see people shift the blame onto others rather than accept responsibility. It is very big of you to do so.

    Thankfully, the damage because of this error is limited and is easily corrected. We are glad you owned up to the mistake, and we trust it will serve as a valuable learning experience.

    ReplyDelete