Thursday, March 11, 2010

Congratulations to the President and Vice President elect and the Members of the 78th ASUN Senate

As promised, some brief analysis.

  • Jose won by an 8-point margin
  • Sadykova won by a 14-point margin
  • All 5 incumbent senators won reelection. The only ASUN insider to lose was Shirley Diaz, although it was inevitable for an insider to lose in that race.
  • 14 men and 8 women were elected to the Senate
  • About 12 percent of the undergraduate student body voted, about the same as in the past few years
  • Both advisory funding questions passed by more than 60 percent of the vote
  • The closest race, in the School of Journalism, was decided by three votes
Once we have the numbers, we will compare voter turnout rates by college.

The most surprising result from this election was student support for increased fees. By significant margins, both questions passed. It is evidence that even in times of increased tuition and fees, students are willing to pay additional fees for specific programs and services.

Also of note is how smoothly this election was conducted. Major kudos to Commission Chair Jeremiah Todd and his entire crew. Their hard work is apparent and they deserve our praise. Great job, guys!

2010 ASUN General Election Uncertified Results

Winners in bold; NOTA stands for none of the above. Some analysis later.

President of the Associated Students
Charlie Jose-850
Casey Stiteler-713

Vice President of the Associated Students
Shirley Diaz-657
Leissan Sadykova-855

Senator for the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources (2 seats)
Jeffrey Fine-49
Corey Jokerst-78
Randy Pares-38
Chelsea Truax-61
NOTA-0

Senator for the College of Business Administration (3 Seats)
Jake Butera-151
Richard Corn-117
Jacob Crawley-91
Mathew Neben (Incumbent)-157
NOTA-20

Senator for the College of Education (2 seats)
Ashlee Benton-35
Jourdan Douglas-17
Edna Meza-43
David Ronan-48

Senator for the College of Engineering (2 Seats)
Alexandria Hill-70
Adam Khan-70
Roger Przybyla-53
NOTA-16

Senator for the College of Liberal Arts (8 Seats)
Joseph Barrett-124
Brandon Bishop (Incumbent)-231
Mitch Bottoset (Incumbent)-162
Samuel Crampton-144
Christopher Day-164
Branden Jung-167
Tatiana Kosyrkina-113
Lea Moser (Incumbent)-187
Ann Newsome (Incumbent)-164
Joey Nizuk-123
Jesus Palma-242
Jordan Weaver-119
NOTA-58

Senator for the College of Science (2 Seats)
Joseph Agor-38
Angel Arias-33
Jennifer Masters-54
Natasha Monga-87
Lauren Riley-74
NOTA-0

Senator for the Division of Health Sciences (2 Seats)
John Haller-51
Reynaldo Veloz-67
Kim Williams-70

Senator for the School of Journalism
Jonathan Moore-61
Misha Ray-59

Ballot Question 1- JV $5 Art Fee
Yes-865
No-506

Ballot Question 2- JV $25 Student Support Services Fee
Yes-855
No-534

7 comments:

  1. Anyone else surprised Jacob Neely did not run again? What an appointment that was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone is bitter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. they should have appointed leissan and then maybe she would have known she is in no way ready to be vice president.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Leissan had no qualifications. Too bad Diaz didn't campaign hard enough. She should have realized students weren't actually going to look at the platforms and watch the debates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not bitter, I was just saying...Maybe Neely underestimated the position?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't need to explain myself to anyone, Eric, but I won't let you trash me for nothing.

    I've learned a lot in ASUN, and I feel like I've done good things for the students and set a good example for my residents.

    I plan to run again next year, and spend this coming year studying for my LSATS and focusing on my residents. I'm not going away, just temporarily shifting priorities. Anyone who thinks I won't be around ASUN at all next year is crazy. I plan on being a member at large.
    I care about the students, and will always work for them. Whether it's caring for my specific thirty or so freshman and making sure they have someone who cares about their safety and education, or making sure their interests are represented in Senate, I care.

    I've never been in this for some personal or political gain. I love this University and the students that attend it. It is my home.

    Think before you speak. Talking about someone behind their back on a predominately anonymous blog is nasty drama I figured at least you would be above, Eric. You have smart things to say most of the time, but it's stuff like this that makes people not respect you when it comes down to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neely, no need to be defensive. I am not anonymous on this blog obviously. I should have sad something to you in person, but I realized this a little too late. I am glad you are driven to help people, and that is nothing I would look down upon. It just looked strange on paper for an incumbent not to run again. Perhaps you should have released a statement?

    Good luck with your LSAT's. If you want to talk about this in person, I would be more then happy to have an intelligent conversation.

    I apologize for my brief rashness.

    ReplyDelete